Thursday, June 14, 2018

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult


“a story will tell itself, when it’s ready” - Jodi Picoult




There are books on the Hitler, Concentration camps, Jews and Holocaust and I unfortunately have barely read a few (I must admit I am ashamed). Of them the popular ones; Mein Kampf and Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl, are two books that I’ve read, reread and recommended to many friends.

Recently however I came across another book The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult and I honestly swear that this one takes the cake, the cream and the cherry (for lack of a better analogy). While Anne Frank described her life in terrifying and tiring times; we somewhere saw a glimmer of hope, a smile and sometimes joy in small things as she grew up. This one however makes your skin crawl.

The book has three separate stories running parallel or well intertwining all through the book. First the story of Ania and Aleks which is the story that is being written by a young girl; the second is the story of Sage Singer and her life, her friendship with a 90 year old Josef Weber and the last is that of Minka, the actual storyteller, the main protagonist, the victim, the survivor and the loving grandmother.

Jodi beautifully feeds us spoonfuls of captivating chapters as we follow the lives of Minka, Sage and Josef. There are chapters where tears ran down my cheeks, chapters where I shuddered and hated to be disturbed, chapters where I smiled and chapters where I shut my eyes imagined myself in that place and time.




The ending is shocking if not completely unexpected. I had a deep inkling about the identity of Josef somewhere towards the beginning of last chapter and yet I was shocked.

Jodi has outdone herself once again. She brilliantly keeps you glued to the book and long after you have kept it down you are still left wondering, thinking and introspecting.



I love books that make me want to go back to them long after I’ve closed them. This one sure is like a mother’s warm lap that cradles you and lulls you to sleep even through the worst of your nightmares. I know there are a few quotes that I am going to save for myself because they make complete sense to me and are so loaded with meaning.  



I would recommend this book to everyone who loves to read. It should be included in school syllabus too. This is not just a story book but a brilliant example of creative writing.

Jodi Picoult 

Once again thank you Bookelphia for sharing this book with me.

6 comments:

  1. Your book reviews make me feel like this is a book written for me. Things described are those which I look for in a book. Thanks for choosing one for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im glad my reviews make you want to read a book. Books are written to be read and well written books OUGHT to be read. :)

      Delete
  2. It’s an interesting transcript Vandana !lovely to see this beautiful part of u-Raina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. Appreciate it..truly.

      Delete